Professional tennis player and CITIZEN Brand Ambassador Naomi Osaka will adorn the limited-release Osaka Naomi Model watch during the Australian Open 2020. The Eco-Drive*1 “Naomi Osaka Model” will go on sale on January 17th, 2020, in a limited quantity of 5,000 units.
|A new portrait of Naomi,
who anticipates further success and a brilliant future
|"Naomi Osaka model"
As a signature model for Naomi, the new “Naomi Osaka Model” will debut from the Australian Open Tennis 2020 (January 20th to February 2nd). The sky-blue face with bright yellow tennis ball-inspired color scheme chosen by Naomi herself features CITIZEN’s Super Titanium™*2 case, which is approximately 40% lighter than stainless steel, and a comfortably fitting urethane band.
“The vivid color scheme is inspired by the image of a yellow tennis ball rising to the blue sky, and feels empowering just to wear it” - Naomi Osaka
The “Naomi Osaka Model” is a multi-band radio-controlled watch. It receives radio signals in the area of Japan, China, Europe and North America to precisely adjust watch time and it covers 26 cities around the world. Additionally with the Eco-Drive technology, it does not require periodic battery replacement to power the watch. A classy black urethane band is also available to accommodate style preference.
CITIZEN shares Naomi’s commitment to always give her best while pursuing the world’s top seed — without hubris. This is embodied into the global CITIZEN brand statement “Better Starts Now” — that is, no matter who you are and what you do, it is always possible to make something better, and now is the time to start doing it. CITIZEN pledges to continue supporting Naomi in her endeavors to compete at the peak of her performance.
- Naomi-selected vibrant color scheme of contrasting sky-blue with bright-yellow tennis ball.
- Sporty, staggered pattern around the edge of the crystal, unique to the “Naomi Osaka Model.”
- Names of 26 cities featured around the edge of the dial, with highlight-blue accent on 4 Grand Slam tournament cities (Melbourne: MEL / Paris: PAR / London: LON / New York: NYC)
- Limited special edition with MEL (Melbourne) notation denoting the Australian Open host city, switched from SYD (Sydney).
- Naomi Osaka signature on caseback
||CITIZEN / "Naomi Osaka Model”
||5,000 units (worldwide)
||January 17, 2020
||Please visit your nearest Citizen store
|Case / Band
||Super Titanium™ (Duratect*3 Platinum / Light Silver) / Urethane (with replacement band: Urethane / Black)
||Spherical sapphire glass
||36.0mm / 9.6mm (design specification)
||Cal. H149/Accuracy of ±15 seconds (non-reception) / Eco-Drive: Running for 2 years on full charge (in Power Save mode) / radio reception function (Japan, China, Europe and North America)
World Time function (26 cities) perpetual calendar/ luminous(needle+index) W.R.5 BAR
* 1 Eco-Drive is CITIZEN’s proprietary technology that powers watches using any natural or artificial light source, eliminating the need to replace batteries. Certified as an Eco Mark product for the first time in the watch industry.
* 2 Super Titanium™ is CITIZEN’s proprietary technology to treat solid titanium with surface hardening technology. It is at least 5 times harder than stainless steel, resistant to scratches, lightweight and gentle to the skin for comfortable wearing.
* 3 Duratect is CITIZEN’s proprietary surface hardening technology that enhances the surface hardness of metals such as stainless steel and titanium, protecting watch bodies from scratches and damage
- About Naomi Osaka
Born on October 16, 1997 in Osaka, Japan to a Haitian father and a Japanese mother. Moved to the U.S. at the age of three and currently resides in Florida. Started out being taught tennis by her father, joined the International Tennis Federation (ITF) tournaments at the age of fourteen, and turned professional in 2013.
Qualified for the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) tour championship in July of 2014 at the Bank of the West Classic for the first time. In January 2016, at the Australian Open, qualified to enter her first Grand Slam, rolling into the third round and rising into the top 100 of the WTA rankings. In the same year, reached the third round of the French Open and US Open as well. In October 2016, at the Toray Pan Pacific Open, reached her first WTA final and moved into the top 40 of WTA rankings. Won “Newcomer of the Year” at the 2016 WTA Awards, an award given to the player who made the biggest breakthrough. In March of 2018, became the first Japanese woman to win the Indian Wells Masters in California, U.S., also known as BNP Paris Open — in the Premier Mandatory category — widely considered the second biggest event in tennis right behind the Grand Slam, joining the ranks of the world’s top players. Won a Grand Slam singles tournament in September 2018 at the US Open. A must-watch up-and-coming player with a powerful serve, Ms. Osaka takes advantage of her 180cm height and forceful forehand. Ranked as the WTA No.1 female tennis player in the world as of 26 August 2019.
• Follow Naomi Osaka’s latest activities as brand ambassador at CITIZEN’s special website page:
CITIZEN’s special website.
- About CITIZEN WATCH
CITIZEN WATCH is a true manufacture d'horlogerie with a comprehensive manufacturing process that extends from creating a watch’s individual components to its final assembly. The company operates in more than 140 countries and regions around the world. Since its founding in 1918, CITIZEN have held the belief of “Better Starts Now” — that is, no matter who you are and what you do, it is always possible to make something better, and now is the time to start doing it. Sharing this belief, we have made watches, invented and improved technologies and explored the future of watches such as our proprietary light-powered Eco-Drive technology and state-of-the-art satellite-synchronized timekeeping.
*Eco-Drive , Super Titanium and Duratect are registered trademarks or trademarks of Citizen Watch Co., Ltd.
*Contents of this release are up-to-date information as of the date of announcement. Product design, price, release date, specifications, etc. are subject to change.
CITIZEN BRAND AMBASSADOR Naomi Osaka